Thursday, June 19, 2014

I can't believe I missed it!

            I love a  good pitching performance.  So last night at 9:00pm when I got the notification on my phone that the Dodgers game was about to start and that Clayton Kershaw was pitching I thought I would tune in.  I have MLB TV and can watch out of market games on my computer.  Truth be told I do not watch it enough to justify the $120 a year it costs.  The Dodgers start so late here in the Central Time Zone and I've usually watched the Braves, so I just don't go through the trouble of getting out the laptop, logging in, etc., etc.  But yesterday the Braves played early, so I thought I would tune in. 

            I watched the first few innings.  Listening to Vin Scully reminded me of why I've shelled out the $120 the last two years.  I could listen to him read the phone book.  I'm sure he would have an interesting nugget of information about each person listed.  Around 10:00 I started to get sleepy.  I dozed off and woke up about ten minutes later.  It was then that I decided to shut the computer down and go to bed.  When I woke up this morning I saw the notification that the Dodgers won 8-0.  I don't do this every morning but I checked the box score.  I wanted to see how long Clayton pitched.  Maybe he had a complete game shutout.  Wouldn't that be exciting?  I also wanted to see how many hits he allowed.  I was sure it wouldn't be many.  Then I saw it, and I was devastated; he didn't give up any hits.  He threw a no-hitter!!!!!  And I missed it!  And for what?!?!  To sleep.  I feel so weak.  I couldn't have possibly needed to sleep that badly.  I can't believe I missed it.  How could I have not checked the box score before I turned it off?  It might not have even mattered?  Three hitless innings isn't that uncommon for Kershaw.  I guess I would have probably turned it off even if I had realized that he had not given up a hit yet.  I've learned my lesson though; check the box score before you turn off a game that has not ended yet!

            In all seriousness, I am so very excited for Clayton Kershaw.  I can't think of another pitcher in the major leagues right now that deserves it more.  I'm also excited for the Dodgers.  Two no-hitters in one season is huge.  Two no-hitters in one month is unbelievable!  I would also like to point out that I did not see Josh Beckett's no-no on May 25th either.  I was out of town and did not even know anything about it until well after the game had ended.  I guess I need to start paying more attention.  Maybe there will be another this season! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!