Sunday, February 17, 2013

I have three teams...

There is another saying about baseball that says that if you love more than one team, you are not a true fan.  I love three.  I know it’s a faux pas, but I can’t help myself; and no, all of my posts will not begin with a saying.  Of course I love the Braves.  I grew up watching them and the members of my family that are baseball fans love them and grew up watching them.  I also love the Dodgers and the Cardinals.  I know it’s random.  I’ll explain. 

I started following the Cardinals in 2009.  It started with the All-Star Game.  It was in St. Louis that year.  During the game and all of the coverage leading up to the game I learned more about the team.  They have a very rich history.  St. Louis may be the only true “baseball city”.  That intrigued me because I live in Alabama and it’s hard being a baseball fan in a state with no pro team.  I think what sealed the deal though was their stadium.  It’s gorgeous.  I love watching games played in St. Louis.  So I started watching them when they were on and by 2010 I was sort of following them and pulling for them.  I got to go to two games in St. Louis in June of 2010.  It was amazing.  More on that later. 

Also in 2009, the Braves did not make the playoffs.  I was not ready to stop watching so I watched the NLDS.  In the NLDS the Cardinals lost to the Dodgers and the Phillies beat the Rockies.  By the time the NLCS rolled around I didn’t want to just watch.  I wanted to be more connected.  I decided to pick a team.  I picked the Dodgers.  I know they too have a rich history and I love learning about the history of the game.  I also love their crisp white home uniforms.  I know every team wears white at home, but with the Dodgers it’s just different.  They lost in the NLCS to the Phillies, whom I pulled for the in World Series (solely because they were the National League representative).  I didn’t expect it to stick, but I found myself following the Dodgers and even pulling for them too when the 2010 season started.  The last few seasons I have gone to Atlanta when the Dodgers come to town; I’ve even worn my Dodgers gear to Turner Field.  It is a little awkward.  It is especially awkward when you forget which shirt you have on and cheer for the “wrong team”.   

I am proud to say that I am no longer collecting teams.  It’s not easy keeping up with three.  It is also not easy deciding who to pull for if one of my three plays another.  I usually pull for the Braves and if I HAD to pick one team it would be the Braves; but sometimes I play the numbers game to see who needs the win more.  This is usually not that clear-cut though.  I know I should probably drop the Dodgers and Cardinals since pulling for them too makes me not a true fan (according to some), but I just don’t want to.  It’s too much fun.  Perhaps I am a fan of the game more than anything.

 Side note: I always pull for the National League in the World Series.  Yes, even in 2010 and 2012 when the Giants won.   The only time I could see myself not doing this is if a Cinderella team from the American League made it to the Fall Classic.  For instance, if the Orioles or the A’s had made it this year (2012) I may have considered pulling for them.  What are great story it would have been for either of them to win.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!